The Vision system allows users to manually import and manage identities. This guide will walk you through the process of importing and merging similar identities within the system.
How to import an identity
To import a new identity, you need to go to the Directory page within the Vision application and follow these steps:
- In the Directory, you can find the "+" button in the bottom right corner of the identity list.
- Interact with the "+" button and select "Import new identity".
- The "Add New Identity" popup will open.
- Enter the desired Display Name for the identity.
- Click "Browse" and select an image from your device.
- Click "Process Images". If a face is successfully detected, you can click "Create Identity" in the bottom right corner.
- Use good quality, if possible recent images of the person you want to import as an identity.
- Check if the system automatically merged similar identities (if any), and manually merge identities if needed.
How to merge similar identities in the Vision system?
In the context of identity importing, when an individual, who has previously been assigned an identity in the system due to being sighted by the camera, is later manually imported as a new identity using an outdated image, the system will not automatically merge the newly imported identity with the existing one at the time of import. Instead, the system evaluates the possibility of merging during the next sighting of the individual, based on established criteria. If identities are not automatically merged upon the next sighting of a person of interest, the reasons can be:
- Poor quality images during identity import - blurred images, person facing a large angle, face too small, partially blocked face, etc.
- Large difference in a person's appearance from the identity image to live camera image - person has changed a lot since the image (hairstyle, beard, glasses etc).
- Identity imported from a poorly scanned document, or old photo in a document.
In such instances, you should try to manually identify the corresponding identity and merge it with the imported one. To do this follow these steps:
- Open the imported identity's details.
- Go to the "Similar" tab.
- Identify the matching Visitor and select it.
- Click "Merge" and confirm merging the identities.
This will manually merge the identities so the system recognizes that person in the future as the desired (imported) identity.
Note: Identities will auto-merge if the similarity is under 0.40 threshold. Manual merging is required above this threshold.
Keep in mind that using recent, good quality images of individuals when importing can help avoid the need to manually merge identities later.